1. Price. Setting the correct price in our current market will make the house sell. Sellers, the agent might/should bring you "comps", but it is you who sets the listing price, so listen to the agent and follow the comps that he/she has shown you.
2. Clean the house. You want the buyers to see the best house they can. This is right up there with setting the correct price of a home. If a buyer walks into your home and there are dirty dishes in the sink and your floors are dirty, chances are you have already lost the potential buyers. Make sure it is as clean as you can get it, this will help out.
3. Fix broken items. All of those little things that you have been meaning to get to, now is the time to jump on them. That loose door knob, missing light bulb, touch up paint, or whatever it may be, make sure it is in the best working order it can be.
4. Curb appeal. When a potential buyer drives up to your home, the first thing they see is your front yard. If it looks like it has been neglected, that is strike one and they haven't even got out of their car yet.
5. Remove clutter. Too much furniture can make the house look very different and even smaller. This is a time to remove what you do not need and make the house look as large and clean as possible.